Year of Faith initiative: Vatican II Lecture Series
October 18, 2012 -
The Second Vatican Council, which opened Oct. 11, 1962, was an exciting moment in the Catholic Church, beginning a renewal that continues to resonate within our faith community and the life of the Church. To mark the 50th anniversary of Vatican II, Pope Benedict XVI has declared a Year of Faith for the worldwide Church. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Saskatoon began the Year of Faith with the launch of a Vatican II Lecture Series in October.
The next lecture in the Vatican II series will feature Dr. Catherine Clifford speaking on "Second Vatican Council: A Defining Moment for Anglican-Catholic Relations".
This public event will be held Monday, Nov. 26 at the Cathedral of the Holy Family (123 Nelson Road, Saskatoon) with vespers at 7 p.m. and the lecture at 7:45 p.m.
Dr. Catherine Clifford of Universite Saint-Paul University in Ottawa has written extensively about the Second Vatican Council and ecumenical renewal.
Her research activities include: Contemporary issues in ecclesiology, especially as they relate to inter-church dialogue and the search for Christian unity including: the history of the modern ecumenical movement, the interpretation and reception of the Second Vatican II, the dynamics of tradition and reform in the life of the church.
Her education includes:
Ph.D. (Theology), University of St. Michael's College, Toronto;
S.T.L., Université de Fribourg;
Courses that Dr. Clifford has taught include:
"The Church in an Ecumenical Age"; "
Church and World"; "Contemporary Theology:
The Nature and Purpose of the Church"
Books she has authored include:
1. Catherine E. Clifford and Richard R. Gaillardetz, Keys to Vatican II: Unlocking the Teaching of the Council.Collegeville: Liturgical Press (Forthcoming 2012).
2. The Groupe des Dombes: A Dialogue of Conversion. American University Studies, Series VII, Theology and Religion. Vol. 231. New York: Peter Lang, 2005.
3. Groupe des Dombes, “One Teacher”: Doctrinal Authority in the Church. Translated by Catherine E. Clifford. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2010.
4. Catherine E. Clifford, Francis Morrisey, Pierre Hurtubise. 25 Questions sur le pape. Montréal : Novalis, 2009.
Books she has edited include:
1. Michael Attridge, Catherine E. Clifford, Gilles Routhier, eds. Vatican II: Expériences canadiennes / Canadian Experiences. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press, 2011.
2.Groupe des Dombes, For the Communion of the Churches. Catherine E. Clifford, ed. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2010.
3. Catherine E. Clifford, ed. A Century of Prayer for Christian Unity. Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2009.
4.Catherine E. Clifford and John Gibaut, eds. “Gifts from the East: Anglican-Catholic-Orthodox Dialogue,” Special Issue THEOFORUM 39/2 (2008).